Moorish Chocolate Cupcakes
Today’s chocolate cupcakes are for true chocolate fans, they are packed full of chocolate flavour especially if you cover them in the rich chocolate buttercream ganache that I use. They are made from everyday ingredients and being easy to make they will become a new favourite and go to recipe.
I apologise now if the word ‘moist’ if one of those words that just makes you cringe, I will use it a lot very shortly!!
Now, you can either use butter or oil in this recipe. Using oil will give you a super-moist texture and you won't need to dirty a whisk, you can do it all by hand, however butter is equally as good, it will just give a slightly closer crumb texture. The use of buttermilk also adds to achieving an incredibly moist texture.
Buttermilk is used it a lot of recipes, it makes a cake nice and moist. I told you I was going to use ‘moist’ a lot!!
I don't often have buttermilk in the fridge. I show you how to make your own from basic kitchen ingredients in one of my previous posts
For the topping: I am not a fan of buttercream, I prefer a ganache which is a bit rich for cupcakes, so I tend to make a half and half buttercream ganache for cupcakes, I think it makes them a bit more decadent.
This recipe will make 12 cupcakes, they will dome, so give you a nice big cupcake.
For the cupcakes:
105g plain flour
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
100g caster sugar
45g brown sugar
2 large eggs
115g unsalted butter or vegetable / sunflower oil (see note above)
1teaspoon vanilla extract
120ml buttermilk (see hack)
Chocolate buttercream ganache icing
50g unsalted butter, very soft
100g icing sugar
50g double cream
100g dark chocolate
Baking the cupcakes
- Mix together the dry ingredients in a bowl, plain flour, cocoa, bicarb and baking powder
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugars, oil or butter, and vanilla extracts.
- Mix in half of the wet mix in to the dry along with half of the buttermilk. - Repeat with the remaining
- Mix until combined. If using oil the mix will be thinner and more batter like.
- Spoon in to the cases. The mixture should come half way up the cases.
- Bake for about 18 minutes. Sometimes they need a minute of two longer.
Making the icing
- Make the buttercream by beating the butter and icing sugar together really well.
- Heat the cream (either in the microwave or in a pan) until it just comes to a boil and pour over the dark chocolate (which is broken in to pieces). Mix gently until all the chocolate is melted. Cool a little. - Mix the buttercream and ganache together.
The cupcakes will freeze really well for a couple of months before covering with icing.
You can fill cupcakes, so they have a sumptuous centre. The easiest way is to cut a small cone in the centre of the cake and add some filling. A chocolate spread works really well!
Chocolate Orange - add orange zest or extract in to either the sponge or icing (or both) Triple Chocolate - fill the centre with a hazelnut chocolate spread and then make a white chocolate buttercream icing Mocha - add some coffee in to the sponge mixture or icing. You could make a coffee buttercream.